InwoodSafety
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First aid certification, self-defense training, etc.

4 posters

Go down

First aid certification, self-defense training, etc. Empty First aid certification, self-defense training, etc.

Post by rosefox Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 pm

I sincerely hope none of us ever encounters a situation where this sort of knowledge would be needed, but better safe than sorry!

The 92nd Street Y offers first aid certification classes. I've let my cert lapse and would love to renew it. Anyone want to join me? Info here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As for self-defense, I've heard good things about Prepare Inc.'s classes, which simulate real-world situations with instructors who are wearing lots of padded gear so you can really hit back. They even have women-only classes. Info here:

It's expensive, so recommendations for lower-cost options would be great.

rosefox

Back to top Go down

First aid certification, self-defense training, etc. Empty Re: First aid certification, self-defense training, etc.

Post by IMInwood Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Krav Maga is a style of street fighting that teaches you to be more aware of your surroundings and allows you to fight back when attacked. It's expensive as well, after the introductory classes (3 months cheaper rate as I recall). This is a killer workout as well.

IMInwood

Back to top Go down

First aid certification, self-defense training, etc. Empty Re: First aid certification, self-defense training, etc.

Post by rosefox Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 am

IMInwood wrote:Krav Maga is a style of street fighting that teaches you to be more aware of your surroundings and allows you to fight back when attacked. It's expensive as well, after the introductory classes (3 months cheaper rate as I recall). This is a killer workout as well.

Looks very cool! I couldn't find any fee info, though. Do you remember about how much it costs?

rosefox

Back to top Go down

First aid certification, self-defense training, etc. Empty Self Defense

Post by Bonnie Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Both suggestions sound so perfect and necessary. Do you know anyone that goes to either program? Do you think I'm too old? I'm 58 and unfit

Bonnie

Back to top Go down

Post by asf_73 Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:31 pm

C'mon Bonnie, your just beginning to live . All are encouraged to attend I'm sure.
asf_73
asf_73

http://Inwoodsafetypatrol.Tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rosefox Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Bonnie, you're definitely not too old for either one!

rosefox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum