InwoodSafety
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safety Tips: Your Door Locks Suck

4 posters

Go down

Safety Tips: Your Door Locks Suck Empty Safety Tips: Your Door Locks Suck

Post by Inwood_Citizen Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:34 pm

There was another post mentioning how someone's locks were picked, which allowed personal property to be stolen from their homes.

Many of you may have the type of lock that uses this kind of key:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is usually pre-installed by your landlords, who want to use the cheapest possible locks.
How cheap are they?

They can be picked in a matter of seconds. You can find a ton of videos on YouTube that will teach you how to do it in minutes. You can make your own picks (typically out of inexpensive hacksaw blades), or even order a nice set online for a few bucks.

Using this classic method, and after some practice, you can pick these locks in about a minute or less.

There is another technique called 'Bumping'. They literally place a dummy key in your lock, tap it with a hammer-type device, and pop your lock open faster than you can with your own key.

If you have these types of locks, be aware that they are useless against even amateur lockpickers. I know, because I taught myself in a day, since the last time the locksmith "unlocked" my door, he charged me a ridiculous amount of money.

So, are Medeco and Multilocks any better? Yes and No.

These 'premium' locks are certainly more difficult to pick open, but not impossible. There is a special device you can buy for these locks that will basically open your locks without a key. Yes, they're the same devices often used by the locksmiths to open your doors.
They can be a bit pricier than a cheap lockpick set, but not priced out of reach for a thief with some cash to spare. Yes, you can buy these devices without a license.

Typically speaking, your Medeco and Multilock locks are relatively safe, especially compared to the junky locks mentioned at the beginning of this post. Picking these premium locks does require at least some investment of time and money.

But picking the cheap locks can be learned in minutes, and done with items found at your local hardware store.

Inwood_Citizen

Back to top Go down

Safety Tips: Your Door Locks Suck Empty Re: Safety Tips: Your Door Locks Suck

Post by manhattanspeak Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Is there a lock that you recommend over the others? We just moved and put in a top lock, but have not changed the cylinder for the bottom.
manhattanspeak
manhattanspeak

Back to top Go down

Safety Tips: Your Door Locks Suck Empty Re:

Post by didmac0 Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:54 am

On my 2002 Acura RSX power locks on door don`t work when pressing the button on the remote. Car does make a sound however but does not "suck" locks in. Without car being locked alarm cannot be activated so I have to lock it manually and than press the button on the remote to activate alarm.

What is wrong with my car??? How muck will repair cost and should I look for a franchise or go to the dealer??

didmac0

http://www.hazwoperrefreshercourses.com

Back to top Go down

Safety Tips: Your Door Locks Suck Empty Re: Safety Tips: Your Door Locks Suck

Post by zeyan12 Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:18 am

I am in love with the artical,it is so excellent~~
I love the style~~
Hope author will get more attention~~

zeyan12

Back to top Go down