InwoodSafety
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cameras In Isham Park

+5
Inwood_Citizen
asf_73
Gary Blaettler
lolitapop9
Linnie_Inwood
9 posters

Go down

Cameras In Isham Park Empty Cameras In Isham Park

Post by Linnie_Inwood Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:54 am

There are many different versions of what NYC Department installs cameras in parks. It does not seem to be the NYPD. As per a conversation with Chief Inspector Reeves of The NYC Department of Parks and Recreation late last Spring (2009), I was advised that the device in Isham Park was NOT a camera just a motion detector that set off a voice warning. After many 311 complaints from Inwood residents, it was closed down. Their intent was to reduce grafitti in that area; which was a very successful program in other parts of the city with similar problems.

Since muggings have significantly increased in the park and the surrounding areas, I'm curious to hear other Inwood Safety Patrol people's input/ideas/concerns on this topic.

Thanks.
Linnie_Inwood
Linnie_Inwood

Back to top Go down

Cameras In Isham Park Empty Re: Cameras In Isham Park

Post by lolitapop9 Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Vehemently against. FYI, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] a bit of background about the cameras from an article in the Manhattan Times.
lolitapop9
lolitapop9

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Blaettler Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:28 pm

if it reduces crime and makes the parks I say go for it

Gary Blaettler

Back to top Go down

Post by asf_73 Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Security cameras have the effect of making people (falsely) feel safer and as a result they reduce the use of other safety measures or even common sense.

Given that, if it's a proper working camera that's linked into law enforcement , I wouldn't mind having it there. Is it a panacea , absolutely not, but given that we can never have a 24hr police presence , a working camera may have to do.
asf_73
asf_73

http://Inwoodsafetypatrol.Tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Inwood_Citizen Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm personally against Security Cameras.

1) The images provided by the cameras are usually useless and fuzzy.
(And easily defeated by a cheap pair of sunglasses or a hoodie).

2) They'll probably just inspire the muggers to cover their faces, making identification by potential victims that much harder.

3) They give a false sense of security, motivating people to let down their guard.

4) If connected to the 'police', I have heard (from police officers) that security cameras are usually monitored by officers on sick leave, or in trouble at work. Not exactly a motivated person.

5) It only follows our recent pattern of giving up some form of privacy for a sense of security. Unfortunately, this isn't worth the sacrifice.

6) I would encourage anyone interested in this to look up any actual data / statistics that prove Security Cameras reduce crime. You'll be hard pressed to find anything more than pure speculation, anecdotal 'evidence', or bullet points presented by the manufacturers of the equipment.

Inwood_Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Inger Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 pm

I am with Rich on this one.
I believe that cameras do not reduce crime - they redirect crime (best case scenario). Cameras can be avoided or rendered useless by simple measures of disguise.
I also agree that it is not worth the sacrifice of more of our personal freedom just for a false sense of safety.
(On a personal suspicion: I don't know how much confidence I would have in a "working camera", since I can see it not being monitored or the tapes magically erased and so on and so forth....but that's just "jaded me" thinking...)

I think it makes way more sense to create awareness and make potential muggers uncomfortable and make them look over their shoulders. With people out on patrol walks, they would actually encounter possible witnesses (and/or resistance or trouble of sorts). I for my part will try to make time for patrol walks (somewhat restricted by 2 kids though) and do my part to spread awareness and caution.

Inger

Back to top Go down

Post by erinnyc Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:17 am

I think one of the problems with cameras in NYC is that they are not actually considered useful by the people who install and monitor them. In London, face recognition software is used in conjunction with cameras. I am a civil libertarian, and am against the use of cameras fundamentally. But if given the choice of having my head bashed in or my photo taken, I would definitely go with the photo. We have the intelligence available to use cameras effectively, we just have chosen not to use that intelligence. Until we chose otherwise, I would have to agree that cameras are more a violation of civil liberties than a crime prevention tool.

erinnyc

Back to top Go down

Post by lineybot Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 pm

Against: they instill a false sense of security, are a waste of resources, and violate civil liberties.
lineybot
lineybot

Back to top Go down

Post by zeyan12 Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:49 am

I am in love with the artical,it is so excellent~~
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I love the style~~
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

zeyan12

Back to top Go down