InwoodSafety
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Break In Report 1/7/2010 @ 207/Cooper

+2
finkies
scrimshort
6 posters

Go down

Break In Report 1/7/2010 @ 207/Cooper Empty Break In Report 1/7/2010 @ 207/Cooper

Post by scrimshort Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:53 pm

Not sure if this is the best place to post, but I thought it might be useful to report any crimes in Inwood...

I moved to 207th and Cooper at the beginning of December from the Upper West Side and have fell in love with the neighborhood. After about a month, my girlfriend called me and said we had been robbed. I thought she was joking at first because my old roommate had just been robbed two days prior in Washington Heights (172nd and Fort Washington). The robber(s) picked my lock and took our laptops, cameras and other portable electronics. My old roommate had similar stuff stolen. The police explained that robbers basically fall into three categories: looking for jewelry and money, looking for electronics or looking to destroy the place. True to form, the robbers really didn't touch much else other than the portable electronics.

Thankfully we are both alright - I feel sick when I hear about other people who didn't get off as easily as we did.

Thanks again for your efforts to make the neighborhood a safer one!

Thanks,
Chris
@Marketplicity

scrimshort

Back to top Go down

Break In Report 1/7/2010 @ 207/Cooper Empty Had something go missing but didn't give it much thought....

Post by finkies Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Never really gave it much thought, but I had a bike in the hallway of my building (also on 207th and Cooper) that went missing in the middle of the night. It was more-so my fault for not having it locked (it was an old bike and I hadn't yet used it) -- but I found it sort of interesting since I'm on the fifth floor of a walk-up. Also went missing in the same time frame, some time in the middle of the night.

Scary to know there is a lock-picker going to people's door.

Hopefully this forum will provide us with the information we need to notify neighbors of things going on -- because now I'm wondering if these two incidents are related.

@finkies

finkies

Back to top Go down

Break In Report 1/7/2010 @ 207/Cooper Empty Re: Break In Report 1/7/2010 @ 207/Cooper

Post by asf_73 Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:26 pm

finkies, were any of these thefts reported to the police? Also, were the bikes registered with the precinct?

We should also get in the habit of checking that the front entry doors lock properly and securely when you enter the building ; also ask that your neighbors do the same . If the door doesn't lock properly, quickly tell either the super or the Bldg Mnmgt.
Be aware of what you leave outside. Make sure that you lock items securely and check on them periodically.

Also make sure that the lighting in and out of your building are well lit. Let the super know if you see that a bulb has gone out or that this fixture isn't working properly etc.

If you see that something of yours is missing , report it right way. To the police, the super and or Bldg Mnmgt.
asf_73
asf_73

http://Inwoodsafetypatrol.Tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Break In Report 1/7/2010 @ 207/Cooper Empty Re: Break In Report 1/7/2010 @ 207/Cooper

Post by Gary Blaettler Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:28 pm

Last year we had about 4 robberies in my building near 215th and Seaman Ave in one the victim said that they got in through the open fire escape window. The apt is on the 6th floor and the fire escape faces the street. Since this happened on a summer day I’m not sure just how it was no one saw someone going up 6 fights of the fire escape. I thought that maybe the locked was picked. Electronic equipment is what was taken

Gary Blaettler

Back to top Go down

Post by erinnyc Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:48 pm

When people enter an apartment from the fire escape, they often get on the fire escape from the roof.

erinnyc

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Blaettler Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:13 pm

yes here to but this apt as mine the fire escape doesn't go to the roof only to the top floor apt

Gary Blaettler

Back to top Go down

Post by laurel Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:04 am

Wanted to add to this - I'm also at Cooper & 207 and I was robbed in September. I take a lot of the blame for this as I left my apartment door unlocked while I ran to the bodega (I know, I know!) - according to the video that shows our building's front door, I was gone for 8 minutes. A few minutes after I returned, I realized that my laptop was gone, I later realized that my cell phone was also gone.

Police were called - I have renter's insurance, so needed to file a report to claim - they were not a lot of fun to deal with, I mostly felt like they were judging my housekeeping skills :-)

I'm on the top floor, and the door to the roof is not always locked as it should be. I suspect someone got in that way - no one saw me leave, as far as I know. Nothing has turned up, but my insurance covered the loss. I think I heard from the 34th one time a week later, no further follow up.

laurel

Back to top Go down

Post by asf_73 Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 am

laurel does the door leading to the roof have an alarm when accessed? What about a camera that focuses on the stairs leading to and on the roof door? Some of these buildings can be accessed from one building and they are all interconnected, meaning they can access the other buildings through the roof doors.
Maybe it's something your landlord or Bldg Mngnt may want to invest in.

Angel Figueroa
asf_73
asf_73

Back to top Go down

Post by laurel Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:48 pm

We only have a camera on the front door/front hallway. When I was robbed, my super said he had been trying to get management to put cameras on every floor, but they weren't wanting to. We agreed that my floor should certainly have a camera, and the roof door should be properly maintained, but nothing much has happened yet. I'm choosing my battles at the moment as I have new, very noisy, neighbor and I need that situation handled with kid gloves before I get more aggressive about asking for a camera - we'll see what happens.

laurel

Back to top Go down

Post by asf_73 Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Understood. Good luck. Let us know how if you do get a camera both on your floor and on the roof. The key is to follow through, be on their backs concerning your safety as well as the safety of the bldg.
asf_73
asf_73

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down